Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Floor yanking.

Disconcerting....wait a minute, lemme look that up in a thesaurus and find a better term for my, um....er...disconcertment....Troubling? Disturbed? Yes, its these too, I just can't figure out the perfect word for this crease in my brow and muted countenance. I got a call this morning from a long time friend:

Z - "Hey."
B - "Hi, how are you?"
Z - "Good...so..."
B - "What's going on in your life?"
Z - "Hey, I think I need to take a break from our friendship for a little while..."
B - "....Oh. Well, ok, what's up?"
Z - "I just need to take a break."
B - "Are you ok?"
Z - "Yeah, I'm fine, just I've gotten a little out of control....and I just need some time..."
B - "Okay, well...okay."
Z - "Be safe and good."
B - "You too...see ya later."

Now I will write a draft of what was going through my head during this convo:

Z - "Hey."
B - "Hi, how are you?"

(Hm...he seems a little down...what time is it?...he never calls at this time of the morning. I guess we haven't talked in a little bit. Didn't he tell me that he was busy this week and would call me this weekend?)

Z - "Good...(is it? you don't sound like it is going very well) so...(hm...something's wrong, its been wrong for weeks now, but this is something different, I can feel it)"

B - "What's going on in your life?" (brace yourself?)

Z - "Hey, I think I need to take a break from our friendship for a little while."
(blank....huh?)

B - "....Oh. (that was unexpected) Well, ok, what's up?" (in other words, what the hell are you talking about?? Did you fall on your head in the last 24 hours or lost all your money in the stock market?...that would explain the weird, sad tone....)

Z - "I just need to take a break." (this is weird because when I wanted to "take a break" I just didn't answer the phone, I didn't make it a point to call him up and tell him...what the hell.)

B - "Are you ok?" (What does this have to do with? Are you in financial trouble? Did somebody die? Is there another gir--*gasp*.........I see.)

Z - "Yeah, I'm fine, just I've gotten a little out of control....and I just need some time..."
(*nods* hm. since when have you ever been not in control....what? Like drunken with power, cutting random people down (a la American Psycho) to satisfy your unquenchable thirst for world domination?)

B - "Okay, well...okay." (I'm pretty sure this is not ok...but I respect your decision because you respect mine...this sucks.)

Z - "Be safe and good." (I'll think about it....and this later....what the hell?)

B - "You too...see ya later." (what the.....)


Good thing I'm really cute when I'm disconcerted.

3 comments:

Matthew Christensen said...

Indeed.

Louise said...

I'm sorry but would it have killed to him to go into a little more detail in explaining why?

Anonymous said...

hehehehehe
hahahahaha
what a d-bag.