Thursday, July 15, 2010

Two things that seem related, but are.

Have you ever wish you could un-see something you've seen? For me it is wishing that I wouldn't have ever heard a certain song. I happened upon this song I listened to and loved often during the bad-feeling time and certainly associated with a specific relationship. It brought back a visceral, deep, dark feeling of that time, those people. I sat through it. I felt that sitting through it and feeling the pain one more time, maybe this time it would pass. As the song ended and the pain attached itself like a caboose to the beautiful trailing notes, I went to turn the music off. As I did an unexpected song started playing. "Graceland" by Paul Simon started bouncing along, reminding me immediately of my own exodus from the bad-feeling time as I made my way to Tennessee. Interestingly enough I found out that the artist of the bad-feeling song I had wanted to never hear actually died in Memphis. Coincidence? Yeah, totally. But it does give me pause to think that it would have been very neat and organized of that higher being that my bad-feeling time died just as I was received into Graceland.

No comments: